Author Topic: AFKIM3  (Read 27095 times)

Offline danzel

AFKIM3
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
AFKIM is back and better than ever  ::sm-19.gif::

AFKIM is an (almost) universal messenger client for PSP (Supports: AIM, ICQ, MSN, GTalk, Yahoo!)

I've also made some guides to hopefully help new people get started with AFKIM.
Even if you've used it before, it would be worth giving the How To Use guide a quick read over.
Getting Started Guide
Quick How To Use AFKIM Guide

The changelog for AFKIM3 is as follows:

Much better, more usable program.
Works in OE kernel, DHCP ONLY CURRENTLY, not sure why static IP address doesn't work.
Faster display rendering (Keyboard lags less)
Better wifi handling - User can rechoose which to connect to if connecting fails.
Better menu system, lots more menu items.
 - Away / Back
 - Remove Account
 - Reconnect to Wifi (No more quitting AFKIM to reconnect! yay)
 - Get Buddy Details
 - Rename Buddy
 - Block/Unblock Buddy
 - Delete Buddy
Fixes related to pressing buttons, menus now continue scrolling if you hold up or down.
Better connection handling.
Many many code cleanups
Fix memory leaks (introduce a new known one :( )

--2 and a bit
Quit option.
Ability to use start as well as X to go buddy select -> chat.
FIX: Editting text box with space messes up display.
FIX: Account details don't save sometimes.

There are current 2 versions:
- Experimental OE version, tested in game310 folder with OE 3.10', seems to not work in 3.03
- 1.5 Version, tested in game150 folder on OE 3.10'

The OE Version works with WPA connections, you must use automatic network configuration however (DHCP)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:59:36 PM by danzel »

Offline deniska

Re: AFKIM3
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
good stuff!

Offline danzel

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:13:01 AM »
Thanks, I use it almost as much as your map viewer  :-*

Offline incadudeF

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:18:11 AM »
Good Job i loved AFKIM before and cant wait to try out the new one!
 ::sm-29.gif:: ;D ;)

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
If you push down arrow to go to the password box, you can't go back to the username box by pushing up arrow.  It shouldn't allow usernames of all spaces or as you said, allow usernames longer than the username box.

Other than that it seems good, it took me forever just to type my username and password though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:35:14 PM by Sektor »

Offline danzel

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
Haha yeah, I shouldn't allow spaces in there at all, will fix it in the next version  ::sm-13.gif::

The keyboard does take a bit of getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it.

Offline pspfan

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
Some comments:

First of all, I love AFKIM! Always have, always will. It's always been one of the best PSP programs since its first release and it never leaves my memory stick. And this new version is no different, it still rocks! The new features are great.

Anyway, with that said, I have some problems as well as some suggestions. Here goes:

The first problem is with the "Unblock Feature". How do you select the buddy to unblock? Once you have blocked them they appear offline, so they aren't in the contact list, and can't be selected to be unblocked. (Blocking works great, though.)

Also, I can no longer get IMs from people not on my buddy list...it's not even displayed in the server window anymore like it used to be. Any idea what happened? I hope this can be fixed.

Lastly, when I remove an account, it is still in the "Remove Account" list, but it is unselectable. However, this problem doesn't really matter because the account is gone when I quit and reload. I just thought I'd mention it, though.

Now for the suggestions...

I think it'd be very useful to have an "Add Buddy" feature. It can be done from the server window with bitlbee commands, but it'd be easier if it was just an option on the menu. "Delete" and "Rename" are already available, so "Add" is the only one missing. An add feature is especially useful when you get IMs from people not on your buddy list, but like I mentioned, that doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully both will be in the next version.

Also, I think "View Buddy Profile" would be a nice option on the menu. I think I was able to do this from one of the bitlbee help commands back on v2, but it'd be nice to just have it as a feature.

This ones not too important, but it'd be nice if it could show your buddy's away message in the "buddy details" (now it just says Away for everyone)

A neat feature would be "Change Away Message" just be able to change it to what you want. Maybe store 3 different ones in a config file which is editable from the app.

Also, scrolling in the chat window would be nice.

Another not-so-important one, smileys (just some basic smiley images for : P : D : ) : ( : -P : -D : -) : -( etc.)

And finally, not a super important feature because of the new "buddy details", but a way to differentiate between your buddies from the different messengers (Put a little AIM guy next to any screen name of an AIM buddy, an MSN butterfly next to an MSN buddy, a "Y!" next to a Yahoo buddy, etc.)

That's it. Thanks again for this great program and I'll still love it even if you don't add those features (but it'd be nice if the problems got fixed).

Offline danzel

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 02:52:07 PM »
The first problem is with the "Unblock Feature". How do you select the buddy to unblock? Once you have blocked them they appear offline, so they aren't in the contact list, and can't be selected to be unblocked. (Blocking works great, though.)
This depends on the service, on msn your buddies stay online when blocked. I'll look in to what I can do here.

Also, I can no longer get IMs from people not on my buddy list...it's not even displayed in the server window anymore like it used to be. Any idea what happened? I hope this can be fixed.
They should get added to your buddy list automatically when they message you, this reportedly worked for the person who suggested it, I'll investigate further.

Lastly, when I remove an account, it is still in the "Remove Account" list, but it is unselectable. However, this problem doesn't really matter because the account is gone when I quit and reload. I just thought I'd mention it, though.
Will check this, probably just need to clean up the list.

I think it'd be very useful to have an "Add Buddy" feature. It can be done from the server window with bitlbee commands, but it'd be easier if it was just an option on the menu. "Delete" and "Rename" are already available, so "Add" is the only one missing. An add feature is especially useful when you get IMs from people not on your buddy list, but like I mentioned, that doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully both will be in the next version.
Yeah, considered it and couldn't be bothered, lol.
You can add buddies on your desktop client and they will appear.
This is a feature I don't value highly, so it won't  get coded until I'm really bored one day.

Also, I think "View Buddy Profile" would be a nice option on the menu. I think I was able to do this from one of the bitlbee help commands back on v2, but it'd be nice to just have it as a feature.
Thats more or less what the 'Buddy details' option is for, you've just reminded me that bitlbee also has an "info" command to get buddy details, will enhance this.

This ones not too important, but it'd be nice if it could show your buddy's away message in the "buddy details" (now it just says Away for everyone)
Thought it would for protocols that support it.... This might be a bitlbee limitation.

A neat feature would be "Change Away Message" just be able to change it to what you want. Maybe store 3 different ones in a config file which is editable from the app.

Also, scrolling in the chat window would be nice.

Another not-so-important one, smileys (just some basic smiley images for : P : D : ) : ( : -P : -D : -) : -( etc.)

And finally, not a super important feature because of the new "buddy details", but a way to differentiate between your buddies from the different messengers (Put a little AIM guy next to any screen name of an AIM buddy, an MSN butterfly next to an MSN buddy, a "Y!" next to a Yahoo buddy, etc.)
already requested

That's it. Thanks again for this great program and I'll still love it even if you don't add those features (but it'd be nice if the problems got fixed).
Thanks for the feedback :)

EDIT: BTW, there is a list of todo/feature requests available here:
http://localhost.geek.nz/afkim/newfaq.htm
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:24:30 PM by danzel »

Offline pspfan

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply. Just a few responses:

This depends on the service, on msn your buddies stay online when blocked. I'll look in to what I can do here.
Most of my testing was done on AIM, and a little bit of Yahoo and GTalk. For GTalk the block feature didn't even work (but GTalk does have a block option fom inside gmail, so I'm just assuming it's not implemented). For AIM, it worked, but as I said the buddies went offline so I couldn't unblock them.

They should get added to your buddy list automatically when they message you, this reportedly worked for the person who suggested it, I'll investigate further.
I only tried this on AIM and it didn't work.

Yeah, considered it and couldn't be bothered, lol.
You can add buddies on your desktop client and they will appear.
This is a feature I don't value highly, so it won't  get coded until I'm really bored one day.
I understand. As I said, the feature was useful if you received an IM from someone not on your buddy list and wanted to add them. However, you mentioned that when that happens they are supposed to automatically be added to your buddy list (even though that doesn't work on AIM yet). If you get that working 100% then an add feature won't be needed.

Thats more or less what the 'Buddy details' option is for, you've just reminded me that bitlbee also has an "info" command to get buddy details, will enhance this.
Yep, I was talking about the "info" command. It'd be nice if it were in the buddy details section.

P.S. I voted for you.

Offline TheMarioKarters

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:35:28 AM »
Great app, I voted for you.

Offline Glynnder

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 10:02:35 PM »
Great release Danzel, AFKIM is one of the few apps that's stayed on my PSP since the start.

Just to check, isn't is AES the only works on the 3.0X one, not WPA

Offline danzel

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
All of the WPA options are only supported under OE. You can only use OPEN or WEP with the 1.5 version.

Offline Glynnder

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 04:40:33 PM »
OK, is TKIP WPA or AES?